Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trip to Paul Michaels

Me, Mom, and Kelli made a trip to Lake Village, Arkansas to Paul Michaels on Monday to buy a few (a few too many) decorative items and gifts. We piled up in one of Dad's trucks...all three of us on the front seat. You know it was an adventure with Mom driving, little Kelli in the middle, and 6 1/2 months pregnant me.

Over the course of 15 minutes the following conversation began.
Mom - "Did we just hit something? What was that noise? Did we lose the car tag?"
Me - "Something just hit the back of the truck? No big deal."
Kelli - "Anyway, Leah, what were you saying?"

5 minutes later

Me - "Mom, is the wind blowing?"
Mom - "Sorry Girls, I can't seem to keep the truck on the road."
Kelli - "Mom, do you want me to drive?"

We continue on...10 minutes or so.

Kelli- "What is that noise?"
Mom checking the side mirror - "Something is poking out of the tire. What is that? It is poking out of the tire."
Mom pulls the truck over somewhere close to Hollandale in the middle of corn fields.
"Girls, it is a flat tire. What should we do?"

We jump out of the truck. I check for a spare tire and call Jennie Henderson to see if we can find her husband, Taylor. Mom stands near the edge of the road and states "Why is no one stopping to help us?" Kelli is taking pictures with her blackberry pearl. Before I can even tell Jennie what is going on a farmer stops to help us out and change the tire. We introduce ourselves and realize it is Mr. Bruton from Hollandale. Bless HIM!!! He changed our tire and sent us to K and B Tire Center just down the road.
One new tire later, we jump in the truck to head towards Arkansas. Mom asks the tire man to check our other tires before we go, you know, just in case. Well, another one of the tires had only 10 pounds of air in it...it should have had 32 pounds. The tire man said we would have made it there, but not back. If you know Hog (my dad) you know he didn't send us on a trip without checking the tire pressure, engine, wipers, all of the above...K and B Tire Center had found roofer nails in the tires.
One new tire and one patched tire later, we head to Paul Michaels and load up on goodies.


Photography by Kelli

6 comments:

Christi said...

That is hilarious, and I am OBSESSED with Paul Michael. Obsessed. Probably half the stuff in my house came from there. Glad you made it there!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. I can just see the three of you. I am so glad that someone stopped to help. What a memory. I have never heard of Paul Michaels. Where is this place? I need to go.

mary straton said...

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is hilarious!

chosemann said...

I mean, I don't even know what to say!!!! That is a great story... I'm glad you documented it for us.

kassi said...

I can just see the three of y'all...I just LOVE the McGraw girls!

katie ray said...

i am laughing out loud! too funny! i remember leaving your house on easy street one weekend, and thankfully your dad checked my tires and noticed i needed some air. he is so sweet! i would have never noticed they were low! can't wait to see your family this weekend at kelli's shower and engagement party!