I was a bit hesitant about getting in the Christmas spirit and looking for a tree this year due to our past 3 Christmas Tree experiences. This is our 4th Christmas together and me and Joey decided to go artifical this year.
Christmas 2004 - Our First Tree As Newlyweds
We roam Southaven for HOURS looking for the "perfect" tree and end up finding it at a small Christmas Tree stand. We load the tree on top of the Montero Sport and return home. We pull up into the driveway, I move my car "out of the way" to make room for the grand entrance of our first tree, I head inside to find the perfect place for the Christmas Tree. In the mean time, Joey lifts the tree off of the truck (I am not there to help which causes a little frustration on his part) and breaks the top half of the tree off. We have a flat top tree. It is hard to put a topper on a flat top tree. Joey, who is flustered because Leah did not help remove the tree from the top of the truck, grabs his keys and heads out the door to pick up dinner from Pizza Hut. Apparently my car was NOT "out of the way" and he RAMMED my car while backing up. NICE first Christmas Tree experience. I cried.
Christmas 2005 - The Griswald Christmas
We headed to the Christmas Tree Farm this year to cut down the perfect tree. I wanted a BIG tree this year. We get the tree home and even though it is still wrapped up in the netting we can barely fit the tree in the back door. After roping the tree to the window several times and rigging the much too small stand, we cut the netting to reveal our tree. Let's just say we could not see the TV from the couch the tree was so large. We put 1,700 plus lights on the tree and it still seemed bare. I have still never laughed so hard in my life. Before we got the tree roped to the window and secured into place, me and Joey would take turns holding the tree so the other one could laugh at its size. This story still brings tears to our eyes when we retell it to each other.
Christmas 2006 - The Frazier Fur
I wanted a Frazier Fur and we found a beautiful one this year and it was a perfect size. Our tree stand was bent due to the Griswald tree from the previous year, but we used it anyway. After a night of decorating our tree and house, we get a good night of sleep and head to work the next morning. That afternoon we found our tree laying on our living room floor.
Christmas 2007 - The Artificial Tree
(Walmart names their tree displays by letters. You have to understand that the Y Tree was really popular this year at Walmart. There was a list behind the cash register in the Garden Section noting all of the Walmarts in a 45 mile radius that still had the Y Tree in stock.)
We found our tree at Walmart this year. It is called the Y Tree. The 3 Walmarts in Southaven were sold out of the Y Tree. After calling around Memphis, we finally found the Y Tree in Senatobia. I did not even LOVE the tree, but we had spent so much time talking to the Manager of Walmart about selling us the display for 10% off (Joey wasn't having that) and calling around the area that Joey was DETERMINED to get that tree for me. We found ourselves heading to the Walmart in Senatobia and sitting in traffic on I55 for 45 minutes due to a wreck to get that darn Y Tree. The whole way there I was saying, "Do YOU just really want this tree?" Joey would respond, "YOU want this tree and we are going to get this tree." I love that Joey is so determined but MY GOSH it is a Walmart Tree.
BUT, I will have to say...It is BY FAR my favorite tree from all of the years. It is a 9 foot pre-lit pencil tree that fits perfectly in our living room and we can use it again next year.
Merry Christmas. If you don't have a Christmas Tree story you can use one of mine.
6 comments:
Beautiful! Here's one from me and Trey. Two years ago, I decide that I want a tree from Biltmore in North Carolina, so I go on line, and come to find out the largest one they will ship you is a 7 foot tree. We usually get 8 or 9. So we go for it. Spend $100 for it and get it in the mail on day. When they say 7 feet, they mean 7 feet from the tip top of the LOOOONG stem at the top, to the LOOONG trunk that you basically trim off. Anyway, we get the tree up and it's about as tall as I am. We finally had to put it up on boxes to make it just about as tall as Trey. I still have never lived that down. We had to put really tall gifts under the tree so that you couldn't see how far it was off of the ground. Priceless! I also love Courtney's story about her first Christmas with Chad and breaking the nice ornament.
It follow up to my earlier story, that's why we drove this year to North Carolina and cut our own tree. I was DETERMINED to redeem myself. This year we have the most beautiful Fraser Fur so I think I have redemption!
You're tree looks great! I'm glad you decided to go artificial! I don't have any great tree stories, but one of the reasons I went artifical is so that I don't have a dead tree in my back yard until March! (by then, it's a little embarassing to put it at the road!)
Oh wow! Ya'll have had some major Christmas tree experiences. I love this years. It looks great!
Bless ya'lls hearts with the Christmas tree! You must have learned some crazy schemes from that cook of a neighbor woman you had growing up (that would be Trisha...and she's better than ever now!) Miss you lots!
Mary Barton
Wow, I love your tree. I think going through all that trouble, it's worth it. Our's is usually 7ft. We almost have the same couch as you to! That's so weird!
Your Student,
Stephan Burton
Post a Comment